Alan is joined by his friend Dr. Brett Kessler to have a VERY frank talk about how people make changes in their lives. Both of them are in long term recovery from drugs and alcohol which gives them an interesting perspective on how people make behavior changes in their life. Some of the topics we discuss are:
- The "time machine" game and how our past experiences are formative
- How do recovering people deal with social situations where people are drinking?
- Dentists suffered during COVID because so much was out of their control
- How do people make positive changes in their behavior?
- Running sucks
- Counting streaks
- Results don't come fast enough to drive early motivation...so how do we maintain motivation?
- Did fear of COVID change Al's behavior?
- How much dental disease is preventable by behavior change (home care, diet, smoking, etc.)?
- Is behavior change a simple matter of education? (spoiler: hell no!)
- Consequences can drive behavior change. But they don't always.
You should join the Very Dental Facebook group (password: Timmerman)! Great conversations and way less dumpster fires!
- The Very Dental podcast is brought to you by the Wonderist agency. The best marketing agency to build your website, logo, SEO, design, Google Ads, social media and on. And on. Marketing your dental office...the Wonderist Agency can help! Find out more at wonderistagency.com!
- Very Dental is also brought to you by our friends at Microcopy Dental. Single patient use carbide burs, diamond burs, polishers and a variety of single use products that make your office more efficient, make your infection control simpler and your dentistry better! Find more information at microcopydental.com!